Google has released Android 4.4.2 update for all the AOSP supported devices that include Nexus 4, Nexus 5, 7 and Nexus 10. The update is nothing more than bug fixes and minor improvements, unlike the Android 4.4.1 that brought huge camera update for Nexus 5. Android 4.4.2 OTA update packages are now available for download and you can install them manually. In this guide we’ll guide you through the steps to install Android 4.4.2 OTA update on Nexus 4, 5, Nexus 7, 10.
Manually installing an Android OTA update is pretty easy and doesn’t require a rooted device or an unlocked bootloader. Simply follow the steps mentioned below to install Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OTA update on your Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.
How to Install Android 4.4.2 OTA update
- Make sure to download the drivers from above and properly install them.
- Now extract the downloaded adb-fastboot-win.zip or adb-fastboot-mac.zip file.
- Rename the downloaded Android 4.4.2 OTA update zip file to: kitkat.zip and move it into the extracted adb-fastboot-* folder.
- Now put your Nexus device into Recovery mode. To do so: Switch OFF your device, press and hold Volume down + Power button simultaneously (for Nexus 4 press: Volume Down + Volume Up + Power). Your device should go into bootloader mode, now use the volume keys to navigate to the ‘Recovery’ option and press the power button to select it.
- Once your device is in Recovery mode, use the Volume keys to navigate to the ‘apply update from ADB’ option and then press Power key to select it.
- Now connect your device to your computer and then:
Windows users: simply execute the START.cmd file inside the adb-fastboot-win folder.
Mac users: Open Terminal and use the
cdcommand to navigate to the adb-fastboot-mac folder.
- Now type in the following command and hit enter:
adb sideload kitkat.zipMac users:
./adb sideload kitkat.zip
This command will transfer the OTA update to your device, the process is automatic. Once the installation is completed, your Nexus device will automatically reboot. First boot after the installation will take some time. Please note that OTA update throws an error while sideloading on rooted devices or if you’ve deleted any APK from the system partition on your Nexus device.
Don’t forget to share your experience in the comments section below.